This vegetable is always trending whether enjoying it on toast, solo, in salads or a number of other ways. In this issue's The Art of the Snack we share recipes for Avocados from Peru for a smoothie as well as a twist on a breakfast classic.
PERUVIAN AVOCADO SUPER FOOD SMOOTHIE
1 ripe Avocado from Peru, peeled and pitted
1 (13.5-oz) can lite or regular coconut milk
1 cup pineapple juice
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup ice cubes
Combine all ingredients in a blender, secure with lid and puree until smooth.
- For added sweetness, dip the moistened rim of the glass (water or citrus juices work well) into a pile of sugar that is about ¼” deep. Shake off the excess sugar and pour the smoothie.
- Before blending, add your favorite protein powder for a nutritionally boost.
Yield: 4 cups; 1 cup per serving
PERUVIAN AVOCADO EGG SCRAMBLE
1 large egg
¼ cup liquid pasteurized egg product
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 ounce (2 slices) Peruvian Avocado
Slice of whole wheat toast
1. In a bowl, whisk together egg product and egg until smooth.
2. Stir in salt and pepper.
3. Heat oil. Whisk in egg mixture and cook while constantly stirring until mixture sets.
4. Place eggs on toasted bagel and top with avocado.
- Add 1 Tbsp scallions, minced or thinly sliced, to the egg mixture before cooking.
- Sauté 1 tsp fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced, then add egg mixture.
Yield: 1 serving