We all spend so much time frequenting our favorite manicure and pedicure salons, but it is important to have the appropriate nail care tips in between our next appointment, as well as to allow the nail to breathe. This can be done at home or even on your vacation as we find this to be a relaxing way to enjoy self-care.
We got the scoop on tips of how to maintain our nails from Skyy Hadley, owner of As U Wish Salon. She shared with us how to allow our manicure to last longer during the heat wave that we're all enjoying.
TRANSITION FROM REMOVING YOUR POLISH TO APPLYING A NEW HUE
• Remove your polish and let your nails breathe for a good few days. If nails look discolored, squeeze some lemon into your lotion or rub a lemon wedge directly onto the nail to brighten nails.
• Apply a shea butter lotion or non-greasy cream to lock in moisture.
• Begin painting! Apply a cuticle oil such as Sally Hansen Color Therapy Nail & Cuticle Oil to the base of your nails (or even when they are already polished), focusing around the cuticle area to hydrate and bring moisture into the skin, helping the polish last longer. This restores radiance to nails and cuticles and promotes strong nails.
SHADES THAT WORK BEST ON FAIR, MEDIUM AND DARK COMPLEXIONS
• Fair skin, use white and blue undertones
• Medium skin, use pink undertones
• Dark skin, almost use transparent tones
IS IT SAFE TO CUT CUTICLES
• Trimming or cutting cuticles dur ing a manicure is purely cosmetic and sometimes doesn’t benefit the nail in any way. The cuticle is the barrier to protect the surrounding skin and help develop the nail free from infections. (Bacteria)
HOW CAN ONE TREAT YELLOW/WHITE NAILS?
• The most common suggestion would be to stop using so much dark nail polish. Of course we all love using dark colors, but this may cause your nails to become discolored. Secondly, always use a base coat. By using a base coat, you’re adding in a protective layer between your nails and the polish. This will also help to prevent staining and can actually help keep your nails healthier.
HOW TO TREAT INGROWN TOENAILS
• Ingrown toenails can be painful and can easily become infected. Try soaking your foot in warm salt bath water for 15 minutes a couple of times every day. This will help relieve pain and swelling. The other thing you could try is gently pulling the skin away from the nail using a small nail file or other blunt device that won’t cut or hurt the toe.
WHAT IS THIS SUMMER'S NAIL POLISH COLOR
• Baby blue, with pink undertone, as well as all nude colors.
BEST WAY TO CUT NAILS
• The best way to cut your nails is to make sure you clean under the nail otherwise bacteria could form. Use fingernail clippers for your fingers, and use toenail clippers for your toes. If you are unsure of what shape your nails should have, just look at your cuticles. The U-shape of the cuticle should be reflected (upside down) by the top of your nail. The primary goal is to mirror the shape.