Each year, the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show stage comes alive with 60 models including Elsa Hosk, Martha Hunt, Lais Ribeiro, Adrianna Lima and more. Next month, these Angels, in NYC, will rock their wings by the lingerie brand and their glow will be courtesy of Celebrity Makeup Artist, Charlotte Tilbury and her covet worthy line as the official makeup partner for this year. We had a moment to find out more about the collection as well as how to get the glow as we get into the holiday season.
We caught up with Charlotte to find out about her approach to creating the makeup vision for this show with an angelic filter for the face to enhance what nature has given to you naturally. The show was infused with fresh glowing looks for the complexion, the ultimate dreamy eyes and of course, a supermodel glow.
ATHLEISURE MAG: What was the inspiration behind this year's show?
CHARLOTTE TILBURY: Darlings, I am beyond thrilled to share with you the official NATURAL, FRESH, GLAMOUROUS look I created for the Victoria’s Secret Show 2018! This look is all about enhancing the most beautiful, dreamy angel version of YOU. I designed the look to act like a glowing, angelic filter for the face and body, and to enhance what nature naturally blessed you with… so they can light up the runway and casts a spell on the world!
One of my inspirations for the look was inspired by the healthy, happy, naturally flawless beauty look of Gisele – she embodies that signature fresh, glowing ANGEL gorgeousness! I also wanted the makeup to channel that Victoria’s Secret feeling! Victoria’s Secret is all about pure fun, joy and abandon! It is a world of confidence, glamour, sexiness, power and magic that we all sail off to for the night! Whether you are watching it at home, or front row - everyone gets lost in the hypnotising allure of the angels! And this year we have such an inspiring group of women who light up the runway and people’s lives - 60 amazing women each with their own unique story, from over 20 different countries! It is so incredible to see so many sexy, brilliant women sharing the power of makeup with the world!
AM: How would you define the Natural, Fresh, Dreamy Goddess look for the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show this year?
CT: It’s an angelic filter to enhance what nature naturally gave you and make you feel like a beautiful, celestial angel… A look that lights up the runway and casts a magic makeup spell on the world! The skin is all about enhanced goddess skin, it’s natural and flawless at its best!
AM: Walk us through how we can achieve the Natural, Fresh, Dreamy Goddess look that will be in the show?
CT: I prepped the Angel’s skin with my Magic Skincare Trio for a healthy, lit-from-within glowing angel complexion:
1. First, I used my secret to supermodel skin, Instant Magic Dry Sheet Facial Mask, for a glowing radiant looking complexion. The genius ingredients including vitamin B3, crocus bulb extract, peptides, oils and butters penetrate deep in to the skin providing nourishing nutrients where skin needs it most.
2. I applied my award-winning Charlotte’s Magic Cream. An instant turnaround cream for the complexion that floods the skin with moisture and provides the most beautiful, glowing base for makeup. It is made up of oils and actives that feed the skin, Hyaluronic acid and peptides that give a plump-effect to the compleion, vitamin C and E that brighten and soothe the skin, and Frangipani and Aloe Vera. It's my secret to the ultimate runway glow! The cream is applied to model's skin using famous Angel Wing Motion Magic Skin Massage to wake up the complexion.
3. Next, I gently tapped my Magic Eye Rescue to revitalise the eye area. The time released retinol molecules in the formula resurface the skin around the eye to help your eyes appear younger and more radiant, hour-by-hour
The secret to flawless, poreless Angel skin:
4. I applied the ultimate glow primer, Wonderglow to the model’s skin. The primer is full of Hyaluronic Acid and has a genius fluorescent core that redirects light to more flattering angles of the face.
5. I buffed on my Light Wonder Foundation for a natural skin but better effect. I used a shade which was slightly warmer than their natural skin tone to give them a healthy glow.
6. For any areas which needed a little extra coverage, I applied my best-selling Magic Away Concealer to conceal any redness or blemishes, brighten darkness, smooth fine lines and hide the appearance of pores
7. Next, I applied my Hollywood Flawless Filter. With the versatility of a primer, the mega-watt glow of a highlighter, and the perfecting properties of your favourite digital filter it soft-focuses and instantly illuminates the Angel’s complexions.
A naturally killer contour and ethereal glow…
8. I wanted every Angel to have a natural contour and ethereal glow under the lights of the runway. I used my Filmstar Bronze & Glow palette to sculpt the appearance of the face and carve out killer cheekbones, add warmth to the complexion with the most natural bronze tones and give a celestial candlelight glow to the skin.
9. The glow was then amplified by using Charlotte’s ‘Diva Light’ Beauty Light Wand. The rose-gold highlighter gives a soft-focussed glow to the cheekbones that plays with the light beautifully.
10. To finish the complexion, I dusted my Airbrush Flawless Finish powder onto the T-area, soft focusing and blurring away any lines and imperfections and creating a soft micro-fine cashmere veil to the complexion.
The ultimate natural supermodel brow
11. To reveal the shape of the brows, I brushed them up using her magical Brow Lift tool and then used the soft pencil to fill in any gaps using upward strokes. I used Victoria’s Secret Brow or Never Clear Eyebrow Gel to fix the perfect supermodel brows.
The Supermodel exagger-eyes eye filter
12. To start, I curled the eyelashes for definition using my Life-Changing Lashes curler.
13. For the ultimate Supermodel eye, I brought back my sell-out sensation Exagger-Eyes Luxury Palette. Part of my Beauty Filters collection, the palette makes the eyes appear bigger and brighter just like an Instagram filter. Using a blender brush, I washed the enhance shade forwards and backwards across the eyelid like a windscreen wiper. The smoke shade was used along the lash line to add definition.
14. To enhance the Angel eye look, I used a second best-selling favourite Eyes to Mesmerise in Rose Gold. Using a smudger brush, I applied the metallic rose gold shade underneath the lower lash line to make the eyes naturally pop.
15. To elongate the eyes and create a seductive, sexy lifted shape I lined the eyes with an Angel Wing using my chocolatey powder pencil eyeliner in The Sofia.
16. For extra richness and depth, I applied my Colour Chameleon pencil in Amber Haze along the lash line.
17. To complete the Supermodel eye filter look, I used Victoria’s Secret Major Lash to give a dreamy Angel flutter in seconds!
Natural, pillowy, supermodel lips
18. For the supermodel lips that everyone wants, I started by re-shaping the lips with her iconic Lip Cheat lip liner in Pillow Talk. The best-selling lip liner loved by celebrities, supermodels, beauty editors and influencers all over the world mimics the natural shade of your lips and gives you the most pillowy pout.
19. I then applied Victoria’s Secret Velvet Matte Cream in Showstopper. A luscious Pillow-y pink matte that makes the lips look instantly fuller and wider.
20. I applied Collagen lip bath for a natural dewy veil of gloss on top of the Velvet Matte Cream.
Blush-bronze like an Angel
21. To create the look of a dewy, fresh, natural health to the complexion, I applied a combination of blush and bronze Beachsticks in Las Salinas and Ibiza. The soft, dreamy makeup sticks blend with the complexion for a natural looking sun-kissed blush effect.
The secret to a healthy glow from head to toe
22. As the finishing touch to this year’s look, I applied my glossy Supermodel Body. This product created glossy-skinned perfection in minutes. Applied down the centre of the limbs using the cooling roll applicator, it makes the skin look and feel firmer, toned and supple, so every model could stride down the famous runway with the confidence of an Angel.
AM: When creating the makeup look with this aesthetic in mind, how will it appear on the 60 models in the show?
CT: The natural, fresh glamorous look will be tailored to suit each individual Angel’s beauty, and to enhance their magnificent custom-designed outfits and those famous VS wings.
About Charlotte Tilbury
One of the fashion industry’s most in-demand beauty professionals, Charlotte Tilbury has completely revolutionised the face of the global beauty industry.
The makeup artist turned entrepreneur has created cover looks for top fashion magazines, started trends on the runways of New York, Milan, Paris and London, led beauty campaigns for the biggest luxury fashion houses, collaborated with the industry’s most well-regarded photographers and has a client list packed full of the World’s most beautiful celebrities including Amal Clooney, Kim Kardashian-West, Emily Ratajkowski, Gigi Hadid, Kendall Jenner, Cindy Crawford, Kaia Gerber, Penelope Cruz, Salma Hayek, Kate Moss, Cara Delevingne, Poppy Delevingne, Miranda Kerr, Kylie Minogue, Jennifer Aniston, Julianne Moore, Carina Lau, Nicole Kidman, Eva Green and Blake Lively to name just a few.
Charlotte spent several years acting as creative director for many large beauty houses before launching her own makeup revolution in September 2013. Charlotte Tilbury Beauty, an award-winning, revolutionary makeup, skincare and scent brand is now available in stores throughout the UK, USA, Canada, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Germany, The Netherlands and sold online to more than 65 countries.
Charlotte Tilbury Beauty has won over 160 global awards to date, including Walpole Emerging Luxury British Brand 2014, CEW Best British Brand of the Year 2015, and the CEW Best New Brand of the Year 2015, CEW Best British Brand of the Year 2018. Personally, Charlotte Tilbury has won Fashion Creator at the British Fashion Awards 2005, Rodial Award for Best Make-up Artist 2012, won a CEW Achiever award in 2014, was named InStyle’s Makeup Artist of the Year 2015, was a Veuve Clicquot Businesswoman of the Year 2016 nominee and won NatWest every woman Award 2017.
ATHLEISURE MAG EXCLUSIVE:
Charlotte Tilbury shares Beauty Backstage of Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2018 - watch the show Dec 2nd at 10pm EST.
MODELS | PG 94 Stella Maxwell + Charlotte Tilbury | PG 96 Josephine Skriver | PG 98 Leomi Anderson + Duckie Thot | PG 101 Adriana Lima - r |
PHOTO CREDITS COURTESY | Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2018
Read more from the Nov Issue of Athleisure Mag and see Naturally Dreamy at Victoria’s Secret with Charlotte Tilbury in mag.